In 2016, the number of people surfing the internet through their mobile surpassed the number of people surfing the internet using a desktop. And because of the sudden increase in mobile traffic that surpassed the desktop traffic, many advertisers and affiliates are in a dilemma. And that’s because now affiliates have to master both of the traffic sources which leave them with many unanswered questions.
Of course, there are a lot of differences between mobile and desktop traffic and how they behave online. And that’s because of how people use different devices such as mobile, tablets, and desktops. So, you, as an advertiser or affiliate, have to understand both of the traffics behavior to take their businesses forward.
Well, we’re here to help.
In this article, we’re going to discuss everything you need to know to maximize your revenue and succeed.
So, let’s dive in…
How Internet Users Are Using Their Mobile Vs Their Desktop?
Right now, there are more than 4.5 billion unique internet users all around the globe. And most of these internet users use both their cell phones and their personal computers. What’s different between them is when they use each of their devices.
Desktops are an important working tool for most people. So, people tend to use it between 7 o’clock in the morning and 7 o’clock in the evening.
Meanwhile, people can use their mobile anytime and anywhere since they’re super-convenient. That’s why people generally use their mobiles all over the day. But mobile usage drastically increases between 6 pm and midnight.
Therefore, if you’re targeting a certain type of user, then you have to target them at the right time, especially during the pick hours to gain their attention.
Characteristics Of Mobile Traffic
Mobile is one of the most versatile gadgets available to your customers that they can take anywhere they go. Here are some of the notable characteristics of mobile traffic:
- You can target mobile users according to the connection they use and their carrier.
- A very small percentage of mobile users are using ad-blocks so your ad campaigns will successfully reach more traffic.
- As people always carry their mobiles with them, you have a broader and more convenient window of time to target them.
- Ads in the mobiles take up to 80% of the screen real estate. So, the ads grab more attention which translates into a higher conversion rate.
- Generally, mobile users who use wifi and those users who surf the internet on mobile data have separate priorities when it comes to their usage of data. So, the conversion rate differs too.
- Mobiles have numerous OS, UI, and screen size. So, you have to optimize and prepare your ads accordingly and make it responsive.
When Mobile Traffic Performs The Best
Most verticals that have killer creatives that catch attention instantly perform really well when it comes to mobile traffic. For example, ads for the entertainment industry perform amazingly in people using tablets. The CPM is cheaper but because of the larger screen size, ads in tablets catch people’s attention fairly quickly.
Characteristics Of Desktop Traffic
Here are some characteristics of desktop traffic:
- Desktop traffic is your best option if you’re targeting an older demographic who feels more confident while surfing the internet on a desktop computer.
- If you’re offering financial or any other business-related services, then the desktop traffic is perfect for you at its peak hours.
- The desktops usually run on a faster internet connection so the internet speed is not that of a big issue. And this gives advertisers the freedom to use larger files for advertising.
- If your ads lead to a landing page that requires your customers to type loads of information, then desktop traffic is your best bet. Since desktops have larger keys in their keyboard, people won’t get mad writing all the information. This is something that can’t be done while targeting mobile traffic.
In The End
Desktop and mobile traffic has a lot of unique characteristics that the advertisers need to understand to run successful campaigns. Study these given characteristics of each type of traffic and figure out which traffic suits your business more.